Monday, September 19, 2011

Milestone: One Week

It has officially been 7 full days of being gluten-free. I can't believe the positive changes that have occurred already. One of the biggest and best feelings in the world happened on day 4 when I didn't have any trance of a stomach ache. Also, I have had completely "normal" trips to the bathroom, if you can catch my drift. Another benefit (huge deal), is that after I eat, I actually feel full and satisfied. This hasn't happened in years. I am always hungry. It is common for me to feel like I am nearly starving 30 minutes after a meal. It makes perfect sense to feel this way when the body isn't absorbing the proper nutrients, which is exactly what was happening when I ate a meal full of gluten.

Even though I am feelings great, the first 3 days were somewhat of an obstacle. I felt hungry, cranky, emotional, nauseated, my face started breaking out, and I was feeling a lot of fatigue. Every time I felt the urge to bite into a piece of bread (to fulfill the cravings I had), I remembered that I wouldn't feel this way forever. I checked-in with friends who assured me I would feel better soon. Their support was paramount to me not giving in this time. For the sake of being healthy I owed it to myself not to give in. I am truly a gluten-free giddy and lucky girl.

Overall, I wouldn't say I have completely detoxed. My face is still breaking out and I have a little bit of cravings at really weird moments (like in the middle of the night). If anyone can explain that to me, I would love to hear it. Also, for some reason I have been pretty itchy. Even down to the insides of my ears. It could be the allergens in the air with the seasonal change approaching. However, this type of itchiness is different. It feels like it's internal. It is kind of like my skin is crawling. At any rate, I would take these side effects any day over poisoning my body with gluten.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I've read over and over that once a person starts de-toxing, the toxins can be pushed outward, causing breakouts and other not-much-fun symptoms. That happened to me pretty severely when I first changed over to a less normal-person diet. The upheaval was sort of terrible for awhile, but eventually my body got itself back into balance. I've also read that systemic candida overgrowth can contribute to cravings...candida supposedly feeds on sugar & gluten, so it makes sense, I guess.

    ReplyDelete