Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gluten-Free 2+ Months!


I am beyond thrilled to report that I have been GF for a little over 2 months. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. My mind and body are telling me the hardest part is over. I have broken the tumultuous pattern of tapering on and off with my gluten habit-filled relapses. The greatest part is I that I no longer feel like I am struggling to make the right decisions. I have the support from my family, my partner, and my friends. Most importantly, I have the support of myself. I no longer need to turn to others to help me say 'no' to the delicious slice of carrot cake at the table.

My physical self is feeling wonderful. My stomach aches and pains have nearly disappeared, I have more strength than I did, few headaches, the itchy patches of skin that I once had have diminished, and my overall energy level has immensely increased. On an interesting note, my emotional well-being has taken a change for the better. Somehow by deleting gluten, I have gained a sufficient amount of self awareness and confidence. People wouldn't guess that I am the self conscious type, but don't be fooled, we all have our doubts. My doubts arrive during the times I ate enormous amounts of gluten. Especially, while hiding behind pasta and bread products (my classic go to comfort foods). My emotional messiness was only exacerbated by the gluten.

I am particularly appreciative of my strength in making healthy food choices now because next week is Thanksgiving and therefore starts the holiday feasting. I would be dishonest if I said I wasn't a little worried about making the right choices, but I spoke to my family and assured them I cannot go back to eating gluten. Of course, they are very supportive. My family has seen the damage that gluten has caused first hand. They were with me in the emergency room visits and hospital stays. They are amazed that it came to an end by simply cutting gluten from my diet.

Once again this has proven to be an interesting and life changing process. Each new step reveals something new.Speaking of new, I have been recording recipes that I am going to share soon. What is everyone else doing for Thanksgiving? Anyone have a delicious gluten free recipe or tip? Please, feel free to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment